Sunday, August 30, 2015

Prrague Blog - Day 0 - The Condor Does Not Pass

We left on Saturday, taking a non-stop flight to Frankfurt. A non-stop flight to anywhere from Anchorage is the best thing since sliced bread. 

Condor's check-in and boarding processes were chaotic, in case you are thinking of taking Condor. In addition, they changed our seats some time during the last 24-hours and we were now across the aisle from each other, rather than next to each other. When we asked abut it at the check-in counter the response was that we should try to get someone to switch with us. I don't find that type of response helpful, and in fact it turned out not to be a feasible solution. This is only one example of Condor's failure to understand the concept of "customer service."

In general, I expect things to be organized and efficient, especially when paying a premium (and especially from the Germans). I don't expect perfection, but I do expect them to do a reasonable job of "getting it right." If that isn't possible, I would like to receive an apology, an explanantion, and some sort of effort to make amends. ("Sorry about the seats. We had a last minute equipment chage. We really value our passengers. Here are two free drink tickets to make up for your inconvenience.") This didn't happen, and there are enough indignities associated with traveling without the airlines treating you poorly.

I have borrowed from my friend Kate's algorithm: 
1. Expectation of perfection 
2. If perfection doesn't happen, an  immediate fix 
3. If that is not possible, transparency.

I ended up sitting next to a woman who was large enough to need a seat-belt extender. This would have been a really uncomfortable 9+ hours if not for the fact that we were in business class. The flight was  okay. The full moon reflected in the Arctic Ocean was spectacular. If I had had the window seat I was supposed to have, you would be looking at a photo now.

One really wonderful thing that happened on the flight occurred when the drinks cart was wheeled down the aisle. There were rose petals scattered over the white tablecloth on top and there was a special effect:
What is it? It's dry ice giving off a roiling cloud of vapor.

The Frankfurt airport is ENORMOUS. When we landed we had to take a bus to the terminal. It took over 10 minutes to get there. The entire time we were driving on taxiways and aprons - we never went on a regular road.  Same thing in reverse to go to our next plane. There was a Terminal A. There was also a Terminal Z. I didn't notice whether the entire alphabet was represented.

One interesting thing about landing was that it was so interesting to other people. People were lined up along the runway, just outside the airport fence. Most of them were taking photos of our plane landing.

We went to the Lufthansa lounge in Frankfurt. They had frankfurters. Lots of frankfurters. Theey were very popular. People would take two or three and scarf them down without buns. I hope I can find the photo I took. I felt very silly taking it. They also had a big bowl of gummy bears.
I found the photo! IPad works in mysterious ways.

The flight to Prague was very short, but our night had been very short, too, and that meant not much sleep. We arrived at our hotel in a zombie-like state and went to the executive lounge to re-hydrate and eat gummy bears. Yes, they had a bowl of them, just like Frankfurt.

Did I mention that it was 92 degrees F when we arrived in Prague? 

And I actually brought a base layer, a fleece jacket, a packable down vest, wool socks, gloves and a hat for this trip. It is possible we will need some or all at some point during this trip, but certainly not this week.

Went to sleep at 8:30 pm unable to keep my eyes open, barely able to unpack my pajamas. Slept like a log. My body clock woke me up at 12:30 am and made me wide awake. It was 2:30 pm at home and that was not a suitable time to be asleep in my body's humble opinion. Isn't jet lag wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment