Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Crossing - Day 2 - Woman in Cold, Part 2

September 6

A relaxing day at sea is always welcome, especially after so much activity in Prague.

We are in the North Sea. Oil rigs appear intermittently all day long.

The water is fairly rough. The stabilizers have been deployed. It is chilly and the skies are gray. This continues all day.

It was rough enough that they cancelled the champagne waterfall in the evening. I'll get over the disappointment, but it would have been so cool to see 800 partly-filled champagne glasses come crashing down.

I went to the organizational meeting for the book club. The book will be The Nightingale, by Kristin Hannah. This book was recommended to me by Linda P a while back, so I am looking forward to reading it.

I went to an an organizational meeting for the cruise-long scavenger hunt, too. I don't think I'm going to do it this time. It seems like a lot of work. It would be fun to do with a team, but I am too lazy to put togather a team from people I don't know.

When we woke up, besides a lot of motion it seemed a little cold. We put the thermostat all the way up. After 45 minutes it was still cold. My travel clock gives you the temperature to a tenth of a degree. We called the front desk at 8 am.  We went to breakfast and wandered around, etc. We came back at 10 and it was still cold. The thermostat had been at the maximum setting for almost 3 hours. We were told "they are working on it." It later became obvious that this was a lie and they were just saying that to blow us off.

We waited patiently until around 12:30. I went down to the front desk this time. I told the young woman, Cassandra, that we had called it in twice, it was still cold, and nobody had come. I wanted to know when I could expect someone to come. I got the runaround: "I can't tell you how long it will take." She finally said she would call the supervisor of guest services and she called right then and there.

I walked back to the cabin, and by the time I got there the superviosr was there. We entered the room and she could immediately tell that it was cold and said she would send someone.  At 2:30 no one had come yet. I was just about to go back to the front desk when the phone rang. It was Cassandra, following up. I told her no, nobody had come yet. I had been out of the room - to keep warm - but it was still cold and there was no note or anything.

Around 4:15 I headed down to the front desk again. I saw three crew members coming down the hall, wearing uniforms that indicated they might be coming to fix the heat. ANd that was indeed their mission. One guy had a stepladder, one guy had a laptop, and one guy had a uniform that indicated he was their boss. The laptop guy plugged the laptop into the tiny little thermostat, looked in a notebook, punched keys, looked in the notebook some more, looked at the laptop some more.
After a while he took a small metal rod and stuck it through one of the holes in the A/C ceiling grate and into the the nether regions of something.
He then said it was fixed but it would take it would take some time to warm up. It did take time, but it did warm up. Yay!

Cassandra called back at 5 to check. Good for her. 

It should not have taken 8+ hours to get heat in our room. It should not have taken two calls that produced no results. They should not have lied and said they were working on it. I was pleased with Cassandra's persistent follow up.

After dinner we went to see an Irish comedian named William Caulfield. He was good, though not over the top by any means. I especially liked that I could understand his accent and I could understand his humor. (If an Irishman is doing it, maybe it's humour?) Not always the case with comedians from England.

No comments:

Post a Comment