Sunday, March 19, 2023

Forward Stairwell Art

March 19, 2023

I am so excited about today’s post that I am skipping over several days so I can write this post now. I will get back to the days I have missed.

Yesterday we moved from the Sky Princess to the Rotterdam.
The Rotterdam is a two-year-old ship, and she is beautiful. The art on this ship is interesting, quirky, and fun. Every time we went somewhere we were surprised and tickled by what we saw. 

Two themes dominate the ship’s art and décor: Music and Holland. Much of the art can be found in the stairwells and elevator lobbies. Each stairwell seems to have its own theme.

Today we “toured” the forward stairwell. I am sorry that the pictures are so poor. The lighting is very bad. The pieces in the stairwells are very difficult to photograph because you can’t stand very far away. There is usually plexiglass over the art and it reflects everything. It is unfortunate that the names of the artists and the titles of the works are not provided.

See if you can figure out what the theme of the forward stairwell is. It took a while until I realized there might be a theme.
Here is a clever three-dimensional piece. The three central buildings extend out from the paper in a tent-like shape, with the apex being the center corner of each building.

Three pieces - made out of heavy cardstock? There are places where the colored layer of paper seems to have been ripped off intentionally.

This piece seems to be made from clay. It is different on each of its four sides.

I can’t tell whether this is made from paper or plastic. One of the techniques used was “quilling.”

New York, London, and Rome - better together IMHO

“You Can’t Get There from Here” would be my title for this three-dimensional piece.

It’s all in the way the light is done. This is a one-dimensional painting.

A lot of soldering went into this one

OMG, I love this. It is  knitted.

Knitting close-up

A pair of paintings to exercise your brain


Creative crochet

Crochet close-up

I actually saw a woman sit on the black base of this lighted sculpture

One of a set of three pieces made of cut paper or cardstock

There were three of these three-dimensional constructions. Again, much more interesting when grouped together. 

Painting

Painting

And this is my favorite set from the forward stairwell:




       

Once again, apologies for the shadows, reflections, and distortions.

I believe the theme here is Houses.

I will be touring more stairwells soon. I will also try to keep up with a daily report - or keep from falling too far behind.

4 comments:

  1. Unbelievable, beautiful art-and great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the knitted art. Thanks for the tour. Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I’m sure they’re all so much more amazing in person. Soo different from what is passed off as “art” on most of the cruise ships I’ve been on.

    I’m sure you’re right about the theme. But I thought the theme might be “geometry.” There were so many sharp lines, shapes and angles. Kate

    ReplyDelete