Friday, March 4, 2016

Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow - March 4

I totally get time zones. When I am in Anchorage I always know what time it is on the East Coast, and vice versa. But this one is hard to wrap my head around. When I wake up on Tuesday morning in New Zealand, it is Monday morning in Anchorage.

When you fly to New Zealand (without a 2-day layover in Honolulu), you will find that you have arrived two days later. The flight may seem like two days, but don't all flights seem like 2 days? Within your personal reality as you experience time, it has only been slightly less than one day as measured in hours. The other day has disappeared. I can't tell you where it went, but you do get it back when you go home. 

But it will take two days to get here, as measured on a calendar. Tip: If your birthday is, for example, June 30, don't fly to New Zealand on June 29. You won't get there until July 1, and you will miss your birthday. (You know who you are.)

In Auckland, most of the clocks seemed to be about 10 minutes faster than we thought they should be. My phone agreed with me. We never did figure this out and the problem didn't appear in other places.

But my phone, and my iPad, and my FitBit are a little confused. In the settings, under time zone, they say "Auckland," but they are all two hours early (late?). If it is 10:00 in New Zealand, my phone, etc. will say 8:00. It wasn't a problem until now because I always had my watch. Now my watch has died. It probably couldn't handle the stress.


(Photo not taken in NZ)


No comments:

Post a Comment