Saturday, April 23, 2016

How Not to Go to the Bathroom - April 23

This morning started out like any normal day at sea. We went to the cafe and had cappuccinos and pastries. I went to my Knitters and Natters group (where I had to chase away a woman who had been suffering from a stomach ailment earlier that day. The type where you need to stay near a bathroom. She leaned over me and wanted to see what I was doing and breathed on me and touched my shoulder and the arm of my chair). I went to my Bollywood class.

When the ship arrived in Osaka around 2 pm, we disembarked to see if we could find the subway station. It wasn't hard. We just followed everybody else from the ship. They all went to the subway station and when we got there they were all in line, ahead of us, to buy subway tickets. Tensions were high. Local people tended to promote themselves to the front of the line, and in the confusion of 5 separate lines all tangled up together, they were able to get away with it. Eventually we got our tickets and a train came within 5 minutes and we rode to the stop nearest Osaka Castle.

The entrance to the castle grounds was just a few steps from the subway exit, but it took about 20 minutes to walk to the actual castle. It was worth it. After we climbed to the top of a hill and passed through the second fortified wall, we were suddenly able to see the most magnificent castle. It was graceful and beautiful, but the first word that came to mind upon seeing it was majestic. The second word was power. This castle was built in 1597 by a feudal lord who had a great architect.

Climbing the base of the Castle


Time for a potty break. There was a public bathroom on the grounds of the castle, and this is Japan, so it will be decent, right. I went in and was kind of knocked very by the smell of pee. I saw an open stall and started to go in when I saw that it was an Asian-style toilet. Regroup and reconsider. The choice is between the Asian toilet and holding it. I didn't think I could manage the Asian toilet (basically a porcelain hole in the floor) without  my long pants touching the disgusting floor. It was wet with what I could only assume was pee.

Of course, I forgot to take a photo. It's just not what you think of at times like this. I'll try to remember to find a picture on the Internet and add it later.

Suddenly, the door to another stall opened and I saw a Western toilet inside. Oh, hooray!

While I was in there I noticed all the interesting stuff on the wall. There was a child holder. It was kind of like a cup-holder but big enough for a child. There were a couple of signs showing how to use it. There was some kind of metal thing, and I have no idea what it was and can't even describe it because I forgot to take a picture. There were several more signs showing that it was ok to flush a whole roll of toilet paper down the toilet, but it was not ok to flush a pillow or a mysterious object. I did not have the presence of mind to photograph these things.

But I did remember to take a photo when I saw the instructions on how not to use a toilet. Enjoy!



After the castle, a fun food tour with Yuki.


The place that sold "octopus fritters" was so crowded we had to give up waiting to get some. I am soooo not disappointed.

We ate bar food on a plank in front of a tiny crowded bar.
We ended the evening with the Japanese equivalent of tapas at a little place where the locals go.


I have more to tell and more photos, but I want to go to bed now.

Tempozan is the lowest mountain in Japan. Elevation is 4.53 meters.


Kyoto on your own

Everyone on train was using a device

Osaka Ikaru Circus

1 comment:

  1. I so love the bathroom info. because that is absolutely essential. A kid holder!?! I learned in China to hitch up my pants at the thighs (to keep the hem from touching the floor) before pulling them down to crouch. Elastic waist is also helpful for facilitating the whole process..... LOVE all the photos. I trust it is not as hot there?

    ReplyDelete