Saturday, April 2, 2016

Orange is the New Distress Signal - April 2

Here we are having our third consecutive da at sea. Lots of "free time." So why have I gotten so far behind in my blog? Blogcrastination! Unabashed indolence!

About 11:30 this morning the captain got on the PA system and announced that we would be turning around. Someone had reported seeing "an orange piece of paper" and it would be best to go back and "have a look." We are in the Indian Ocean, between Australia and Indonesia. This area was searched when the Malaysian jet disappeared.

As the Ship Turns

Of course everybody rushed out to their balconies or to the upper decks to help the officers spot the orange piece of paper. I saw one guy excitedly point at a white piece of something about the size of a Kleenex. I hope the officers saw what he was pointing at. It could have been important. I myself saw a large number of flying fish.

It takes the ship 20 to 30 minutes to turn around and get back to the point of the sighting. Remember that if you ever fall off.

Eventually the captain announced that they had found the orange object and it was just some flotsam, probably off a fishing boat, and it was indeed orange. Volunteer spotters, stand down. (The captain didn't say that last part - I did.)

Now I haven't written anything over the last few days, so the following may not make much sense until I fill in some of the missing postings. 

I went to the Knitters and Natters group and met an Australian woman who quilts. We are going to trade e-mails, favorite websites, and so on.

I went to the Bon Odori class and learned a new dance and reviewed the old ones.

Ken and I went to the pool to cool off. It was so nice.

We spent quite a bit of time talking about how hot it was outside and how hot it was in our cabin. (It got up to 81 F in our cabin with the AC on the lowest setting and the curtains drawn and most of the lights off. We spent time talking to our cabin steward about the temperature. We spent time talking to the customer service people and the Housekeeping supervisor. We tried to get them to give us a fan for tonight. Keeping the balcony door open is not an option. It is hotter outside than inside, and very humid. I think tomorrow will be our lucky day and it will be fixed while we are on shore.


No comments:

Post a Comment