Monday, March 14, 2022

March 9 - A Night at the Opera

March 9, 2022

My first full day of the cruise was very busy. I started out with “Coffee Chat & Needlepoint.” I brought a new sashiko project with me to work on. Our group was small but we had fun talking about quilting and knitting while working on our projects. 

A member of the cruise staff handed out free needlepoint kits that could also be worked on. I got a cute eyeglass case. I don’t think I will have time to work on it right now.

After the “Coffee Chat,” the cruise staff member came back to teach us how to make leather bracelets from kits. I made one, but I didn’t finish it because it has to be fitted to the wrist of the person who will wear it and I’m not sure who it will end up with (but I have a pretty good idea).


My next activity was a Meet & Greet with the Cruise Critic Roll Call group for this cruise. Carol B did a great job organizing it. She got swag from Oceania to use for prizes. The group was limited to 30 people and it was held in a shaded outdoor location. A couple there won a prize for having been on the most Oceania cruises (44).


I won a prize for having been on the most cruises overall.  There was an Oceania baseball cap in the bag, but I gave it to Carol B’s husband because he was talking about buying one, and it wasn’t something Ken or I were going to use. I got a backpack with a golf towel, water bottle, luggage tag, and golf socks. Not sure I will use any of it. 

The Cruise Director told us this cruise has 987 passengers (capacity of ship: 1250). There are around 750 crew members aboard.

For lunch there was a very delicious Mexican Buffet. We were able to enjoy it outdoors again and it was muy bueno.

In. The afternoon I took a class in the Culinary Center. It is a state-of-the-art classroom that has work stations for 12 passengers. Normally the classes are hands-on, but because of the pandemic, the classes on this cruise were lectures.

The class i took was “Knife Skills,” taught by Chef David Shalleck. He is an excellent teacher. The class was interesting and comprehensive. I learned a lot.


At the end of the class I bought Chef David’s book.


We went to Red Ginger for dinner. It’s the Asian specialty restaurant on board and it was worth all the hype. 

Appetizers:  Tempura Vegetables and Lettuce-wrapped Vietnamese Spring Roll


Salad course: Lobster something, duck and watermelon salad. The duck dish was unbelievable.



Main course: Sea Bass in Miso Sauce — even more unbelievable than the duck.


The show this evening was a real treat. It was a performance by the Little Opera Company — two men and two women from great Britain. They sang popular arias from several operas, and they were so good! Bravo!

I was almost too busy today to notice the color of the water, but I did. It was azure. 

Sweet dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment