Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Idleness - October 11

What can I say? Today’s word is “idleness” and I’m three days late writing this. 

The waiters here are wonderful. They will try very hard to get you whatever you want, and they usually anticipate what you want before you even know you want it. At breakfast I asked for a moose cappuccino. In this case, I don’t think the barista had ever seen a moose. It looked suspiciously like a cow.

Ken got a goofy cow. I thought it looked like something right-side up and also upside down.
 

I did go to Knitters and Knatters and continued to work on my sashiko project. Here is what it will look like on October 14.

People ask me all the time what I am doing, because most people from North America or Europe have never seen sashiko.
It is a Japanese style of embroidery that started out as mending. 

The second question is “What is it going to be?” I’m not really sure what it is going to be. Maybe a throw pillow? A challah cover? I am almost finished, but I have to figure out what to do about the multitude of loose ends on the back. We often say we have to ‘’tie up a few loose ends” — I think that this figure of speech must have originated with some form of sewing.

Went for a walk around the sports deck. Had to stop walking when it started raining. Why do we do that? We take showers, but we feel we can’t walk in the rain. However, it was actually getting slippery, so it did seem like a good idea to stop.

There were many other activities available today - Hawaiian crafts, pickleball, trivia, ping pong, ballroom dance classes, hula classes, live music, enrichment lectures, a game show called “Can you Survive Alaska?,” and so much more. Yet, we chose idleness. The warm air and gentle breeze, the soothing rocking of the ship, the white noise of the water - it was quite  irresistible.

Today’s fabric is100 Year Hoffman Challenge Robins Egg Choppy Ocean Waves, by Hoffman Fabrics 


5 comments:

  1. I was wondering where you were. Now I know you were enjoying hugga like the Scandinavians😀😀😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don’t wear sneakers in the shower usually. That embroidery! Stealthy complexity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGE fan of idleness here. Of course, I chose to marry someone whose motto is “Go. Go. Go.” Can make cruising a challenge.

    LOVE the shashiko! Could definitely see it as a challah cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. Continuing previous comment. Re shashiko - also very Christmas-y with the colors. As a bread basket liner for a Christian friend??

    Enjoy your leisure. That really seems to me to be the whole point of a transoceanic cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me again. Signed, Kate.

    ReplyDelete