Sunday, October 22, 2023

The Zen of Venn - October 22


 It is overcast and there is a noticeable swell. I don’t feel ill, but sometimes it is hard to walk in a straight line. The sea looks very dark today. You might say . . . 

        It was a dark and stormy day . . . or . . .

        It was a sea day . . .

  It was the kind of day where you can’t remember to take                                         pictures . . . Or you can’t find much to take pictures of.

I asked Harald for a Halloween-themed cappuccino and this was the result:


Ken’s cappuccino - we were told it was “Picasso” - was the barista’s choice.


Picasso? I was skeptical. 

But I have Google.

Picasso often wore a beret and he painted numerous pictures of men and women in berets.

Man in Blue Beret, 1964


Femme au Béret et à la Robe Quadrillée (Woman in Beret and Checked Dress), 1937

According to the NY Times, the painting of a woman in a beret and checked dress was sold in 2018 for $69.4 million.

Score one for the barista. I am no longer skeptical.

I went to Knitters and Knatters again, after an absence of one and a half sessions due to political discussions. It was fine. Things have calmed down among the knitters and the knatters. I have calmed down. Unfortunately, the world has not calmed down. I am not going to get into that here.This blog is not about politics. I merely wish to show how politics can impact a traveler.

Darko, the concierge, had a cocktail party with an opera theme.  A lot of people were there. It was lively and fun. Darko had masks and special cocktails for us. Politics was not discussed.



In a Venn diagram, the set of people who go to Knitters and Knatters and the set of people who go to the concierge lounge has a tiny intersection, containing only one person. I am glad that is the case.

In case you don’t remember Venn Diagrams, here is an example.

Don’t worry if you can’t read the boxes. I found this diagram on Pinterest; no credit was given.

We went to dinner at The Catch by Rudi, with our new friends, Larry and Amanda. It was lively and fun. 

Background: We were seated next to Larry and Amanda a few nights ago. Somehow we realized that Larry and I were in the same class in law school. It was a class of 600+ and we didn’t know each other then. Ken and I really hit it off with Larry and Amanda. You could say that they make a good Venn diagram with us.

Today’s fabric is Bliss - Bold and Bright Slate Digitally Printed Yardage, by Northcott Fabrics. Who knew there was such a thing as digitally printed yardage?


3 comments:

  1. Fun reading for a not-great-weather day at sea. Personally, I’d love a descrption of how the baristas do the more complex cream drawings. Maybe everybody knows how this is done, but I don’t. Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a small world! And, yes, I remember Venn diagrams😀

    ReplyDelete